Re: xf86 3.0, i845, no go

Joe Paxton <joepa@1st.net> writes:

> I am using the vesa driver of XFree86 3.0
                                        ^^^
I see this as a simple typo and you are using 4.3.0.

> from experimental with i845 chipset; when doing 'startx', one of two
> things occurs: either the server aborts, giving a "no screens found"
> error, or else multiple lines and dots of various colors appear on
> the screen and the machine locks.

You might try the i810 driver instead of vesa for X.

I have this chipset on a machine at work.  I used the "i810" driver in
the XF86Config-4 instead of "vesa".  This gave me a few modes such as
1024x768 and 800x600.  I tried adding a modeline to give 1152x864 but
wasn't able to get that resoltion working (X kept ignoring my
modeline, but I do not know why).

> I have used debconf to try several different combinations of color
> depths and resolutions. None have thus far been successful, but, as I
> said, the results that they yield are consistent. The multiple lines of
> various colors (and machine locking) happens at color depths <=8bpp, and
> the "no screens found" error occurs at colors depths >8bpp -- resolution
> doesn't seem to matter in either case.
>
> No other fatal error messages (besides the "no screens found") occur. I
> have attached the error logs for each situation, and I have also
> attached the XFree86Config-4 for each situation (all named so as to
> hopefully avoid ambiguity). I am using kernel-image-2.4.21-4-686 on a
> 2.4GHz P4 with 256MB of RAM. I have the kernel AGP module loaded, and
> there doesn't appear to be a DRM module for the i845 chipset with the
> kernerl that I am using. I would greatly appreciate any help that could
> be provided.

I am using 2.6.0-test4 and there are agpgart, intel-agp and If you
chose the intel-agp, there is some DRI i830 module you can build as
well.

--
Johan KULLSTAM