Re: Key mapping using <Alt> + [ , etc.

Pål Dahle wrote:
Please excuse me for sending an Xfree86 related question to this list.

On a US keyboard I'm trying to generate the norwegian characters
"ae", "oslash" and "aring". I would like the following mapping

<Alt> + [ --> "ae" <Alt> + | --> "oslash" <Alt> + ] --> "aring" It doesn't necessarily have to be the <Alt> key, however, any sesible two-key combination will do.

I have managed to map the norwegian characters to the []\ keys
by running a script

xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketleft = ae AE bracketleft braceleft'
xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketright = aring Aring bracketright braceright'
xmodmap -e 'keysym backslash = oslash Ooblique backslash bar'

and then map the keys back to normal by running

xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketleft = bracketleft braceleft ae AE'
xmodmap -e 'keysym bracketright = bracketright braceright aring Aring'
xmodmap -e 'keysym backslash = backslash bar oslash Ooblique'

This works allright but is a rather primitive solution, as I have to
run the script each time I want to change the mappings. Can anyone
help me out?

æ Æ ø Ø å Å? Use the compose key.[aka multi-key] 'xmodmap -pk | grep multi-key' to see if you already have one, otherwise you are going to have to map a key to it[which may turn out to be just as ugly as your current solution]. I just have a .xmodmap file[ie commands between the 's, one per line] in my home directory which I just source with 'xmodmap ~/.xmodmap' in my .bashrc which works since I always start up at least one bash shell when I start up X. Other possible places include .xsession, or in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/, but you'll have to figure out which ones are read in your setup which can be somewhat confusing.

æ = Compose[held down] a+e
Æ = Shift+Compose[held down] a+e
ø = Compose[held down] o+/

You get the idea, though I guess these are technically three key combinations.