Re: modutils and module-init-tools duplicating work

 --- Micha Feigin <michafeigin@yahoo.com> escribió:
> > modultils -- kernel < 2.5.48
> > module-init-tools -- kernel >= 2.5.48
> >
> > Of course, module if module-init-tools finds an earlier kernel, it passes
> the
> > work on to the old version.
> >

> They are still almost the same, except for the check whether to run
> depmod in module-init-tools. Why do we need two of them?

Because, as of kernel 2.5.48 the kernel modules now end in .ko and have a
completely different internal structure.  The new module-init-tools does not
handle old style modules, but recognizes and passes them on to modutils.
The old modutils knows nothing of the new formats and will barf all over itself
if you attempt to build, load, remove, or otherwise operate on a module with
it.

The short answer is: because they are not cross compatible.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es