Re: Playing .bin files in mplayer and xine

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:50:07 +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I've got a couple of .bin files, which I believe are svcds, aren't
>   they?

It could be anything, .cue+.bin is a common CD-ROM image format. (S)VCD is
very likely though.

> I can play them with kplayer, but it is horrible as the sound is
> skipping. Xine on the other hand won't play them and reports that it
> couldn't find a demux?!

I just had the same problem. AFAICT you have basically two options:

a) Burn the .bin on a CD-R and watch it in Xine. Works like a charm, but
it wastes time and a CD-R.

b) Install vcdimager, and abuse vcdxrip:

vcdxrip -p --nosegments --nofiles -o /dev/null -b <your-bin-file-here>

That produces an MPEG file in the current dir, which can be played fine in
Xine. Again, there is a time penalty.

I'm currently thinking if I should raise this issue on a Xine mailing
list. Maybe I'm just missing something, or maybe we could add that feature
to Xine easily (it can the final VCD after all).

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!