Re: keeping partitions mounted read-only

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 04:35:43PM +0200, Hans Wilmer wrote:

> Is there any way to do the remounting without a reboot?

>From time to time I need to unmount a partition on an active
system.  I use lsof to show open files on the partition so that I
know which daemons to shutdown so that I can temporarily unmount
the partition.

For example,

	# lsof +D /var

displays all processes with open file handles on /var and
subdirectories of /var.

You may need to "apt-get install lsof" if it is not already
installed on your system.

--

Shaun Crossley
mailto:shaun@whatever.ca