problems with traceroute using iptables and vrrp

Hi there,
          I have a setup where one server is acting as a router with
four interfaces. From interface on network A  when I try to traceroute a
ip which is on network A too I see the server trying to go to the
defaultroute  hop on network B which is very strange because it should
go directly to this server on network A.  also when I ping this ip on
network A and  monitor the packets I see  icmp  echo requests and echo
replies  on the interface A but ping itself times out. Does someone have
a clue what might be going on?

Thanks
/j