Re: cloning Debian?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:12:17 -0500
Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> wrote:

> I have a working system, and want to clone it to a bigger, newer, faster
> one, keeping the old one as a backup...
>
> I looked at a lot of options, (Dolly, G4u, ...) including Cloneit, and
> Partimage, but have trouble with both.

> Any ideas on remedies, or other /better ways to do a remote clone?
> I've spent way.... too much time trying things that should work in a
> simple manner!

Install both hard drives in the same machine.

Boot with a CD-ROM such as LNX-BBC:

http://www.lnx-bbc.org/download.html

Fdisk your new hard drive, and mount the partitions you want to copy and the
partitions you want to copy them to.

Then, very carefully :) do:

cp -a <source partition>/* <destination partition>

This will go faster if you use hdparm to explicitly use DMA on both drives.

Kevin