Re: fetchmail error

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 06:25:14PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
| Hi deb-users,
| could anyone point me in the right direction.
| pop3 server->fetchmail->sendmail->pop3 client (evolution)
| Fetchmail issues an SMTP error

*recieves*, not issues.  sendmail issued the error.

| and cant continue getting the rest of my email.

| ---------------------------error-------------------
| Aug 16 18:13:02 debian fetchmail[1383]: reading message
| kmark@pop.pipeline.com:4 of 311 (5310 octets)
| Aug 16 18:13:02 debian fetchmail[1383]: SMTP error: 553 5.1.3
| <bounce-debian-user=@lists.debian.org-@[]>... Invalid route address

Apparently the DNS records for debian.org were temporarily missing
several entries.  You have sendmail configured to verify that the
sender's domain exists (via DNS).  Since the DNS records were missing
sendmail rejected the message, and thus fetchmail couldn't deliver it.

I don't know how to configure sendmail, so I can't help you change
that setting.

BTW, DNS errors really should NOT result in a 5xx (permanent) error
response from sendmail.  It ought to be returning a 4xx (temporary)
error so that, from a user's perspective, a transient DNS problem like
the causing the above problem won't result in mail being bounced (just
delayed).  In your particular case, because fetchmail won't generate a
bounce message, the error will effectively be treated as temporary,
but if you were running sendmail like that to receive mail directly
then the list software would have unsubscribed you automatically due
to the repeated rejects.

HTH,
-D

--
Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for;
through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/