Re: exim-tls just says "no, stupid!"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:22:02AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Derrick 'dman' Hudson (dman@dman13.dyndns.org) [030617 09:43]:

> > | well, when i have the tls options enabled, eudora and outhouse
> > | excess both claim the server doesn't speak ssl/tls -- and
> > | sniffit shows only "EHLO <hostname>" and "QUIT" from the client,
> > | even tho telnetting in to port 25 (smtp) shows "STARTTLS" as an
> > | option.

> What I recall is that it does crazy things behind your back.  Basically,
> if you tell it to do TLS, then if you specify port 25, it tries
> STARTTLS.  If you use any other port (i.e. 465) it does SMTP/SSL.
>
> As per dman's suggestions, avoiding this craziness while testing is a
> good idea.  Probably testing with Mozilla Mail is a good bet.
>
> I'm attaching an excerpt from my exim.conf (3.x).

thanks for your help. i still must've had some missing pieces
(aside from general lack of understanding of the certificates or
the protocols or the client fubars) but i did finally accomplish
the goal via

	ssh with port-forwarded tunnels

and it seems to work like a champ.

any drawbacks to that approach for smtp/pop3 transfers?

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #34 from Martin/madduck <>
:
How do you click-paste text into VIM WITHOUT AUTOMATIC INDENTING?
Vim's ":set noautoindent" isn't enough if you have smartindent or
cindent set. Try setting "paste" instead:
	:set paste
before pasting your text, and
	:set nopaste
afterward to restore normal behavior.