Re: Mouse not functioning in KDE2.2(stable)/ X-windows-system-core 4.2.19 (unstable)

shut wrote:

Hello,

I have spent the last 24 hours grappling with a problem in configuring KDE 2.2 and X 4.2.19 to use my mouse. I have gone through the default configurations after installing them via apt. The pointer merely remains in the center of the screen while X/KDE loads at start-up, and remains non-functional through logging in via the GUI. This is a generic 3 button mouse, made (or branded by) General Electric.

Here  the relevant part of my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (made by xf86config)

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "MouseSystems"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

I have set this to /dev/psaux as well with no luck, the mouse pointer remains in the middle of the screen. After reading through several messages in the archive, I apt-get'd gpm and configured that as well, using the defaults. Here's that current (/etc/gpm.conf) config file.

device=/dev/mouse
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=

Does the mouse have a PS/2 connector, or the older 9-pin style of serial connector (or something else)? If PS/2, your device should be /dev/psaux in /etc/gpm.conf. If 9-pin serial, it should be /dev/ttyS[0-3, probably 0]. "/dev/mouse" is probably a link to the real device file (and it may not even exist if you didn't create it).

You'll want to set "repeat_type" to "raw" instead of "ms3", and I don't recall ever having success with "autops2" as the "type"; I always specifically set it to "ps2" or "imps2" or whatever protocol the mouse needs.

I'd get gpm working in the console (outside of X, like via Ctrl-Alt-F2, then login) before trying to tackle the mouse within X.

Also, I would like to know how to disable X/KDE from starting up if I have to do anything involving either of those two applications such as X -configure or some such. Then again, I'm not really sure what I am doing with these files aside from linking device files (mouse is symbolically linked to gpmdata). And yes, I am doing all of these from root. If there is someone whom had the same problem as I and I missed the message, could you please link me to the archive or whatever search terms you used to find it. Thank you very much.

You can uninstall [xwgk]dm, depending on which is installed, like "apt-get --purge remove kdm". Or you can rename/move/delete the symlink in /etc/rc2.d that starts [xwgk]dm; so that it doesn't start with S[somenumber], or you can rename/move/delete the actual script (instead of just the symlink) in /etc/init.d. Or you can add "exit 0" as the first executable line of the [xwgk]dm script. Or you can let it start up, then shell out to a text console (like Ctrl-Alt-F1), login, and run "/etc/init.d/[xwgk]dm stop"; later you can restart the login screen by replacing "stop" with "start".

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)