dpkg -i does not install all files in a package

I have had some problems with a package, so I tried to remove some off
the files and reinstall with dpkg -i to regenrate the files.
The problem is that for some reson I got the directories and only one or
two of the files and nothing else. For some reason it didn't reinstall
the files into the directories.
I opened up the package using ar x <package> and then tar -xzf
data.tar.gz and made sure that the files were actually there.
The package in question is:

xlibs-data_4.3.0-0ds3v1_all.deb
xlibs-data_4.3.0-0ds4_all.deb

would this be a problem with the package other then the files not
appearing (since they are in the package) or am I missing something
about dpkg -i?