Re: GCC for kernel compilation

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 18:56, tmcd@panix.com wrote:
> In article <i0Es.Ko.23@gated-at.bofh.it> you write:
> >#!/bin/bash
> ># Make it so make-kpkg patches the source
> >PATCH_THE_KERNEL="YES"
>
> The variable PATCH_THE_KERNEL is not used later in the script.  Since
> there is no "export", it's not put into the environment (unless
> there's a bash option for that and you've set it here via $ENV or some
> such).  Therefore, I don't see how this statement can have any effect.
>
> I thought that if I got the kernel-source Debian package (via
> apt-get), it was already patched.  Was I wrong?

Since I manually type that script out, as I forgot where I put it...
that was the one line I forgot to add.

Yes, the Debian Kernel Source is already patched... but what you are
forgetting that Debian ALSO has "alternative" patches available for the
tree. "apt-cache search kernel-patch | less" should enlighten you on
this.

Excuse for the forgotten "export" and the patches not disclosed.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Entranced by the bitter harmony of your lips, I gaze beyond reason to
find the oasis of your ruptured soul.