Re: extra apt sources, backports etc.

James Strandboge wrote:

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 15:29, A. Loonstra wrote:

Hi,

I've recently installed woody on a test system. I added the Gnome 2.2 backport and the Xfree 4.2 backport. I added the following to sources.list

# XFree 4.2
deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
deb-src http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
# Gnome 2.2
deb ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woo
dy gnome2.2/
deb-src ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports
/woody gnome2.2/

Installation went fine but I ran into som problems when aptitude suddenly wanted to remove a lot of packages. I managed to fix that but aptitude didn't automaticly fix broken dependencies and I had to do that by hand.

You no longer need Adrian's xfree86 4.2.1 packages as I supply them with
the backport.  His packages are very good, and xfree86 4.2.1 are just
his sources recompiled on standard woody.  There are a couple of small
patches in mine that work better with gnome2.2 at this moment as well,
but he may be adding those soon.  If you take Adrian's lines out and
just use the gnome2.2 lines, you get everything you need for gnome2.2
and xfree86.  Let me know of any conflicts in my packages.
[snip]

Well I reinstalled to machine for some more testing. I now only use your backport (gnome2.2) When I do apt-get install gnome gdm I get unmet dependencies: gnome Depends: gnucash but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry broken packages.

Strange...

When I go into aptitude and try to install 'gnome' I have 2 broken packages:

libgal-data which is missing libgal23
gnucash which is also missing libgal23

Strange thing is is that I can't find the package, only the old original one.

Arnaud.