Re: Activating ACPI supend and ACPI Hibernate in klaptop

Thank you everybody, specially Micha and Mark. OK, this almost worked.

This is my setting. On a Kernel 2.6.0-test2 I have this built-inl:
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y

$ cat /proc/acpi/sleep gives me back:
S0 S3 S4 S5

sudo echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
two beeps, black screen within one second, computer off... The problem is
waking it up. If I hit the power button (the way I use to wake up the machine
with APM/suspend and MSWindowsACPI/suspend), the screen lights up (but still
is black, the fan turns on, and that's it. I have to reset computer (turn it
off and reboot).

sudo echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep
Bunch of processes "entered the refrigerator"
Freeing memory.....
Black screen, but still powered up, then after a minute I get this text:

[nosave c040a000] critical section/:done (62163 pages copied)
uhci-hcd 0000:00:1d.0: Resume
uhci-hcd 0000:00:1d.1: Resume
eth0: Setting half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 0000
hda: wake up request initiated, waiting for !BSY
hda: start_power_step (step: 1000)
hda: completing PM request, Resume
writting data to swap (62163 pages)

And again thats it, hangs and I have to turn it off and reboot.

Any ideas?

PS. I do not know if acpid is running, when I try to fire it up I get this:
can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory