Re: more install problems

Okay, this supersedes the previous.  I have succeeded in installing
Woody on the Thinkpad, using the 'dummy' network interface.  A stack
of errors which will be easily cleared up as soon as I actually can
connect to the internet, via our home-office ethernet.  The interface
card claims to support Linux.  It is a net-lynx 428X.  It comes with
a floppy, with instructions for installing its driver.  This is what
it says:

  Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux

  1. Compile the source code :
   ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
     and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
   -Wstrict-prototypes
   -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
   -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/"
     The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service
     version you use. Please change it to the version on your system
     in order to include proper .h file. The final file is
     realtek_cb.o

  2. Copy driver :
   ->Copy the file "realtek_cb.o" to "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia"

  3. Edit config:
   ->Add 5 lines to the file "/etc/pcmcia/config"
  [...]
after that it should be easy.

This doesn't seem to be workable with the directory structure debian
has installed.  I have managed to copy the file to a directory (in
spite of the thinkpad not being able to read floppies properly - but
that is a separate problem).

In para. 1. there is no directory like
/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
*pcmcia*/include/.  What should I do here?

If someone can help me here, I can try to compile this.  If it
succeeds, it will be the first time I ever compile anything
successfully!  The floppy they provide also includes a file called
'kern_compat.h', but there are no instructions what to do with it.
It is mentioned once in rtl8139.c as follows:
  #ifdef INLINE_PCISCAN
  #include "k_compat.h"
  #else
  // #include "pci-scan.h"
  #include "kern_compat.h"
  #endif
which looks commented out to me, but I don't pretend to know C.  Can
anyone tell me if I need to copy it too?

The main reason for moving to Debian (apart from the wonderful people
here) was for apt-get and friends, but I can't even start to benefit
if I can't get online... it's sooo frustrating.

--
richard