Re: Top - Mem: 119212k used

> From tallison@tacocat.net Mon Jul 28 15:36:30 2003
>

> Alan Connor wrote:
> >>From ron.l.johnson@cox.net Mon Jul 28 09:19:38 2003
> >>

> >>On Sun, 2003-07-27 at 10:39, Alan Connor wrote:
> >

> > Thanks to all.  I've got 3.0 down to 15 megs of RAM  with no X up and
> > screen running, and just two TTYs available, which is plenty. Next step is
> > to rebuild my kernel and remove a LOT of drivers I don't use at all.
> >

> > Alan
> >

> If you don't load the drivers, they won't take up any memory.
>
> Use lsmod to see what you are loading into RAM and modconf to change that
> configuration.

They SEEM to all be necessary to me, Ron, but I am not really sure...

$ /sbin/lsmod
agpgart                20704   0 (autoclean)
ppp_deflate            38912   0 (autoclean)
bsd_comp                3936   0 (autoclean)
ppp_async               6688   1 (autoclean)
ppp_generic            16908   3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc                    4480   0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
iptable_filter          1728   1 (autoclean)
keybdev                 1664   0 (unused)
mousedev                3744   0
usb-uhci               20676   0 (unused)
hid                    19104   0 (unused)
usbcore                53856   0 [usb-uhci hid]
ide-scsi                7552   0
ide-floppy             11840   0
unix                   13412   4 (autoclean)

Wait! I can get rid of ide-floppy.

What's the unix module for?

Anyway, I am still pretty much running a stock kernel, and there's a lot of
stuff compiled in that I don't use.

Got to spend some serious time with /usr/src/2.4.19/Documentation/*
and my /boot/config*  file...

thanks,

Alan

--
       For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam from your life
       with the Mailbox-Sentry-Program. See the thread