Re: kernel compilation question

Hi,

* Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@pe.net> [030728 11:48]:
> Now that I'm fully moved over to Debian :-), I'm looking at start
> tinkering with kernel compilation.
>
> I would "assume" I'd need the kernel-source package of my choice?

"Need" is not strictly true since you could just get the source from
kernel.org. However I would recommend using the Debian kernel-source
packages which have a had a few security patched applied.

> But it are there any other package(s) I'd need to download to get
> started?

Anything that is "needed" will be in the "Depends" field for the
kernel-source package, so it will be installed automatically if you
apt-get install your kernel source.

Look at the "Suggests" and "Recommends" of the kernel-source.
eg apt-cache show kernel-source-2.4.21.

You will need gcc, make and libc-dev to compile the kernel.
Additionally you may want libncurses-dev to use menuconfig and I
highly recommend using make-kpkg from the kernel-package package when
doing the compilation. Have a look in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package,
and I believe there is a good Debian kernel howto at newbiedoc on the
web (sorry not exactly sure where).

Good luck,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test1-looxt93c6 #1 Thu Jul 17 16:49:12 JST 2003