Sandisk sddr-75 CF/SM usb reader problems

Hi list,

I can't get this usb reader to work at all with a smartmedia card (i
don't have a compact flash card to test) although searching on the web
suggests that the sddr-75 is a standard USB Mass Storage device and
there are reports that it works in linux.

I've followed the suggestions here:
http://vic.dyndns.org/linux-UsbMassStorage/
http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=1227

I'm using the debian supplied kernel-image 2.4.21-3-k7 with sid as well
as a self-complied 2.4.21 and also tried versions of 2.4.20 & 2.4.19.

To load the usb modules, in a boot-up script, I have:

modprobe usbcore
modprobe usb-uhci
modprobe usb-storage
mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb

Instead of doing this, I've also tried using hotplug and usbmgr as well
as loading the modules in /etc/modules.

`mount -t vfat /dev/sd[a,b] /mnt/flash/`  gives:
mount: /dev/sd[a,b] is not a valid block device

I think the problem may be that sg is not mapping the reader slots to
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb. When I do `sg_map`, I get:  (scd0 is a cdrw)

/dev/sg0  /dev/scd0
/dev/sg1
/dev/sg2

Does anyone know how to get /dev/sg2 mapped to /dev/sdb?

I bought the reader because I was having similar problems with my
camera. It's an Olympus D-510.  I didn't use it for a while but I had
it working fine in linux last year with an earlier 2.4 kernel.

I'd really appreciate any help as this has been driving me nuts for a
few days.  :)  I've included more info below in case it's useful.

Thank you,
Michael

  ---%---

parts of lsmod:

st                     28636   0  (autoclean) (unused)
sr_mod                 14552   0  (autoclean)
sg                     32252   0  (autoclean)
usb-storage            67520   0
usb-uhci               23312   0  (unused)
usbcore                62604   1  [usb-storage usb-uhci]
vfat                   10604   1  (autoclean)
fat                    32088   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
ide-scsi               10288   0
scsi_mod               94176   6  [st sr_mod sg usb-storage ide-scsi]
ide-cd                 32128   0

cat /proc/scsi/scsi:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: LITE-ON  Model: LTR-52246S       Rev: 6S0C
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SanDisk  Model: ImageMate CF-SM  Rev: 0100
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01