GNOME broken in Sarge?

I just upgraded from Woody to Sarge.

I boot to a command line and use startx to run X. I have been running Gnome, but, since the upgrade, startx is now loading KDE. If I try to run gnome-session to run Gnome I get the following error:

	(gnome-session:535): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

I ran 'dpkg -l gnome*' to see what was installed and found a crazy mix of gnome 1.4 gnome 2.2 and gnome 2.3 files installed. Also, several packages had been removed, and not upgraded. As near as I can tell, this is a dependancey problem: gnome-desktop-data and gnome-panel-data conflict with gnome-core (<1.5) and gnome-help (<1.5) but the only versions of gnome-core in testing are 1.4.x. I do not see gnome-help in either testing, or unstable and the gnome-core in unstable seems to be a very different animal and I do not know if this is what I need, or not. Is this a known problem and is there a workaround?

Is there any way to get back my gnome1.4 until this is corrected?

Also, since the upgrade, on booting up I received the following error just after I get my login prompt:

	spurious 5259A interrupt: IRQ7

Any help will be appreciated.

Marc