Re: wireless howto[s] indepth ???

Firstly, on wireless Howtos, have you checked out
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
and it's links and associated pages.

Secondly, the orinoco_cs driver is only recently becoming half decent
(although still not there, IMHO). The recent kernels (2.4.21 and .22-pre
releases) all use the latest orinoco 0.13 driver, which is likely not
available in 2.4.18-bf2.4. If you want to stay with the orinoco driver,
try a more recent kernel release, or try compiling your own orinoco
drivers from
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html.

After many hassles with the orinoco driver (it still fails under heavy
load) I switched to the linux-wlan-ng drivers, which haven't failed me
yet. The installation is very straightforward and simple (if you have
already got kernel sources installed - for pcmcia-cs). The driver for
11Mbs cards is at:
ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng

Lastly, although I have never seen your airsnort error message, I have
successfully used airsnort with the linux-wlan-ng drivers.

Damien

--
Linux on the Inspiron 1100