Re: setting up an openafs server on Debian

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, David Z Maze wrote:

> (It'd be interesting to know what your actual goals are here.  You're
> probably not going to be able to use your disk to randomly add volumes
> to the cs.unc.edu cell.  I've found it useful to set up a personal cell
> before on the "AFS is better than NFS" mantra, but accessing it from
> outside meant reconfiguring machines to know about my Kerberos realm
> and AFS cell, which was a pain.  It seems like my current research
> group at MIT would benefit from having AFS, but deploying that would
> be pretty tricky, and we're sufficiently xenophobic and demanding that
> we don't we to use the main athena.mit.edu AFS cell, so we'd have to
> come up with hardware and admins to run our own cell.  "AFS server in
> a box" would be neat, but I don't think anyone makes one.)

Well, I'm just trying to set up a private cell, largely for
experimentation at this point. If this works out, I might start using
it for my private use. Also, our department uses the university AFS,
which only allows a small amount of space per person. I was
considering whether it would be feasible to set up a private AFS
server just for my dept. Nobody knows anything about this, so it would
be just me administering it.

I'm not sure how practical this latter goal would be in the long term,
though. It would probably require a dedicated system administrator.

Incidentally, the AFS cell we use is called isis.unc.edu.

I've been looking at the Debian documentation. The configuration
session is quite enlightening. I think I might be able to get a
working system by just following the steps. I think I should do a
little technical reading first, though.

I've also been writing to the openafs mailing list, which has been giving
me reams of useful information.

                                                              Faheem.