Re: libpam-modules dependency loop stable-->unstable

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 06:10:29PM -0700, Brian K McDonald wrote:
> After a fresh "stable" install, after adding "unstable" lines to
> /etc/apt/sources.list, and performing the following sequence:
>
> dselect update
> dselect select (immediatetly Q[uit])
> dselect install
>
> I get the following:
>
> E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> package libpam-modules due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop.  This is
> often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the
> APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
>
> There are posts on this error message going back at least three years.
>
> Any advice on how to deal with it, understand it, or prevent it?

I don't know if this is a bug in apt or the PAM packages, but it's
easily worked around by running this:

apt-get -o APT::Force-LoopBreak=1 dist-upgrade

It's been in the topic of #debian on irc.debian.org for a couple of
weeks now :)

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>  |   mlspam@ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?