Re: DivX and XviD - hardware requirements

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:56:23 +0200
"JZidar" <zee@email.si> wrote:

> I'm building a small system for working at home. I would be like to watch
> some movies sometimes but I don't know if that's enough:
> - Pentium II 266 MHz
> - 196 Megs of ram
> - graphic card Geforce2 MX

Should be sufficient in most cases IMO.
-in order to achieve best performance make sure there are as few processes running as possible - it's obvious
-ged rid of soundserver, use /dev/dsp for sound output
-make sure you have XVideo support --> type 'xvinfo' in xterm (non-free nvidia drivers supports it, I don't know about nv). When using this X extension (in simplification) your GPU is able to rescale the video, so CPU only needs to decode it.
-try mplayer (non-gui version) IMO it's the fastest player for linux.

Some time ago i installed woody on my friend's laptop: PII 300, S3virgeMX64. S3virge drivers for X 4.2 supports XVideo extension. There is no problem playing any divx using mplayer (cpu usage is about 60%-80%, depends on movie).