samba mounting error

when i trashed my install yesterday and started over, i unfortunately
forgot to back up /etc.  oops.  now samba won't work.  i can do an
smbclient -L servername, but i can't mount remote windoze filesystems
like i could in the last instass:

the offending line in my /etc/fstab looks like this:

//8track/ned    /8track/ned     smbfs   credentials=/home/nori/.smbmount-ned,rw

this exact line used to work.  the credentials file is my username
(with a space in the username, which is why i'm using the file instead
of passing them on the line) and password.

but when i try to mount it:

spycellar:~# mount -a
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //8track/ned,
       or too many mounted file systems

but nothing else is mounted!

spycellar:~# df
/dev/hda4             15559588   1260756  13508436   9% /

the shared filesystem is okay, as windoze users can access that
partition.  and it's certainly of type smbfs.

what's going on here?  i feel like it must be in my smb.conf, which i
pasted below, but i'm just using the dpkg defaults.

thanks,

</nori>

/etc/samba/smb.conf (without the commented lines):

[global]
   workgroup = 8track
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   invalid users = root
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   encrypt passwords = true
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no

   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword
:* %n\n .

   obey pam restrictions = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories