Re: USB and PCMCIA card readers

 --- Piers Kittel <edinfo-list@biased.org> escribió:
> Hello all
>
> I have 2 card readers - an Sandisk PCMCIA compactflash card reader, and
> an Lexar USB Smartmedia card reader, and well, the question is how to
> get those to work on my linux laptop?  I'm not fairly sure what is there
> to need to know to solve the problem, the laptop's a fairly ancient one,
> P233mmo, 128mb RAM, USB (has to be version 1 I guess), and has PCMCIA.
> Running Debian woody version 3 with kernel version 2.4.21-rc5.  I get
> the following messages when I insert the card readers:
>
> PCMCIA Compact Flash reader:
> "cardmgr[94]: unsupported card in socket 1
> cardmgr[94]:   product info: "Micron", "MTCF    "
> cardmgr[94]:   manfid: 0x002c, 0x0000  function: 4 (fixed disk)"
>
> USB Smartmedia reader:
> hub.c: new USB device 00:01.2-2, assigned address 2
> usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x5dc/0x1) is not claimed by any active
> driver."
>
> I'm guessing that I just need the drivers to get them, but I've searched
> for them, can't find them.
>
> Thanks very much for your help in advance
>
> Cheers - Piers

Piers,

The SmartMedia card reader should just work.  Using a stock 2.4.18-bf2.4
kernel,
all I needed to do was add this line to my /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1       /smartmedia     auto    rw,user,noauto          0       0

Then it was just a matter of plug in reader, insert card, and mount.  When
finished, unmount, remove card, and (optionally) unplug reader.

In the event that you are using a home rolled kernel, you need to enable
support for SCSI block devices.  This is the SCSI part of my .config file
(2.4.20 kernel) that works with the SmartMedia reader:

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=m

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR_VENDOR is not set
CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SCH is not set
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

Everything works just great.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa