Re: Trouble with PCI hardware modem - almost solved

 --- Charles Roberts <ai4a@enia.net> wrote: > Steve Kennedy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having no success getting my PCI hardware modem working. Hope
> > someone here can help.
> >
> > I've been following Jason McCarty's Linux PCI-Modem Micro-HOW-TO,
> and
> > here's what I've done so far.
> >
> > As root, ran:
> >     cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV ttyS4
> >
> > ls -l /dev/ttyS4 shows:
> >     crw-rw----  1  root  dialout  4, 68  Jun 6 19:10  /dev/ttyS4
> >
> > dmesg|grep ttyS shows:
> >     ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> >     ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> >     ttyS04 at port 0xa000 (irq = 17) is a 16550A
> >
> > This matches the output of lspci -v:
> >     00:09.0  Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model
> > 5610    (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
> >        Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com USR 56K Internal Voice Modem
> (Model
> > 2976)
> >        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
> >        I/O ports at a000 [size=8]
> >        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> >
> > After running pppconfig, and triple-checking the information I
> keyed
> > in, I ran pon. It fails to connect, in fact the modem makes no
> sound at
> > all. (Yes, the phone jack is plugged into the wall and the back of
> the
> > computer). I checked tail -f /var/log/messages, but there's no
> reply to
> > the initial challenge and the program exits after a few "alerts".
> >

> Hi Steve;
>
> I have the same modem and it works fine. On my modem the irq is 11.
> Use
> setserial to change the settings.
>
> HTH
> Charles

That did it! Thanks a lot.

The first time I tried it the modem fired up nicely on irq 11. After a
reboot however it wouldn't work. The I/O settings had changed from
0xd000 to 0xb000. After adjusting that the modem still wouldn't fire up
on irq 11. I noticed the BIOS messages indicated the modem on irq 5, so
I tried that and it worked again.

Any idea how to get some consistency into the system so I can put the
setserial information into an init script?

Thanks,
Steve