Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 19:18, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 06:15:13PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > >
> > > No you wouldn't, because all the browsers out can decently render
> > > a 100% compliant page.  I've yet to find a browser that can't.
> >
> > I'm afraid this is not the case Paul. IE is not always able to
> > render fully compliant pages, in a decent way.
>
> I still agree with Paul. Just because IE isn't able to render CSS
> correctly it does not mean that just by using CSS you are excluding
> "90% of the browser users on the internet."

Paul said, that he is yet to find a browser, which is not able to render
100% compliant pages, in a decent way.

I just demonstrated that, this is not the case.
However, I didn't mean that by designing 100% compliant pages, you will
be excluding 90% of the people.

[snip]

> 2) Look at *your* traffic.

Sure. I maintain a web site <www.linuxiran.org> which is a web portal
for Iranian GNU/Linux users, and free software believers.

As one can see from http://www.linuxiran.org/modules.php?name=Statistics
only 43% of our viewers use IE. Netstat states that this figure is
around 50%. In either case, this is much lower than the 90% thing,
which is accpted over the internet. Although, one can argue that the
site is a Linux web site, but still, ...

> I personally would rather write to the standards instead of changing
> things every few weeks as new versions of buggy browsers are
> released.

You can say that again

Cheers
--