Re: Debian x Redhat

On 05/06/03 bob parker did speaketh:

> But during the course of it all it became very clear to me. With Debian if /
> when you get anything working it is because you found out what you had to do
> and did it. Sometimes that might be a little difficult but you have this list
> for support along with any number of LUGs to help you through.
>
> With Mandrake most things work fairly easily but at the end of it you have no
> real idea why. Mandrake is based on Redhat so I expect that it will be very
> much the same. And of course with Windows you never have any idea at all
> about what is going on during install or afterward for that matter.

    Agreed, but I would point out that RedHat does have excellent online
documentation, and it's not difficult to figure out what's going on
underneath. While I love and advocate Debian when I can, I've found
problems with the documentation on the website. When I was looking at
how to create my own .debs, the docs in the developers section
referenced tools that aren't used anymore (to my knowledge).

    I find frustration in both worlds, but the big difference between
Linux and Windows is that if you want to know what's going on, you _can_
find out, regardless of the distro. That's not typically true of
Windows.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix