Re: Newbie-Help in configuring IceWm

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 06:54:04PM +0530, SRIKANTH NS wrote:
> I also installed IceWm by apt-get install icewm.
gd idea :)

> Problem 1.
> Since this is a low end m/c , I wanted to use only IceWm.
what ya mean 'only' icewm? IM(NS)HO icewm is hardcore :D

> But during installation I gave gdm as the display manager. Now login
> screen shows only GNome,KDE and failsafe only as the sessions.
hmm, gdm gives me the following options:
o last
o Debian
o Icewm
o Gnome
o Xsession
o Fluxbox
o Failsafe Gnome
o Failsafe xterm

when i use gdm [not often, too pretty] i use 'Debian' which seems to
just execute ~/.xsession which suits me. [then i just uncomment whatever
i wanna use, ratpoison :) or ice usually.]

you could apt-get install xdm which i think allways executes .xsession
and is much less pretty.

> Next I made a .xinitrc file in my home directory with a line "exec
> /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm"
my .xsession file:
    #!/bin/bash
    xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources
    xsetroot -solid black
    xterm&
    ratpoison
    #icewm
    exit 0

> Problem2.
> I find screen resolution only 640 x 480. The card (ATI Mach64) is
> capable of 1024 x 768.  In Redhat , I used to login as root and type
> setup in which xsetup can be changed. Is there any other easy tool
> like that ? Or do I have to go to the complicated process of editing
> "XFree 86 " file ?
vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

or dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
or XFree86 -configure