Re: E: Package proftpd has no installation candidate

[Please don't top quote!  It makes your message harder to read, especially in
long threads.]

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 03:16:24PM +0200, Jimmy Tak wrote:
> Kevin McKinley wrote:
> >On Mon, 05 May 2003 14:35:49 +0200
> >Jimmy Tak <f.l.tak@leden.snt.utwente.nl> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm sure it has been asked before, but I couldn't find it. When I try to
> >>install proftpd I get the following error:
> >>
> >>Reading Package Lists... Done
> >>Building Dependency Tree... Done
> >>Package proftpd has no available version, but exists in the database.
> >>This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> >>never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> >>of sources.list
> >>E: Package proftpd has no installation candidate
> >>
> >>I can't find it with apt-cache search either. I've tried several sources
> >>and I did my apt-get update's. Whats wrong here?
> >>

> >I don't know. Generally when I get that message I can try again later and
> >everything is OK. proftpd seems to be available now:
> >
> >http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=proftpd&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
> >
> >Maybe you tried at exactly the wrong time?
> >
> >Kevin
>
> It still doesn't work. I don't think this has anything to do with when I
> try it.

That error means that apt can't actually find a package called 'proftpd'
but something else refers to it (as a dependency or whatever).  Are you
sure apt is pointed at a full mirror?  I see it in sid, at the moment,
but perhaps you're using cds that don't have the full archive or so?

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org>                              http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?