Re: Users ready for Debian on the Desktop

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 15:59, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Jamin W. Collins (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) [030418 12:23]:
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 12:53:59AM -0700, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > > * bob parker (bob_parker@dodo.com.au) [030417 11:58]:
> > >
> > > This is a very important but seldom realized point.  I invite anyone
> > > who claims that "Linux is hard to install" to attempt a ground-up
> > > install of any version of windows.
> >
> > Sorry, but if you honestly think Windows is more difficult to install
> > than most Linux distros, your missing something.  I'm certianly
> > pro-Linux, and prefer it to any MS release, but the MS releases are a
> > fair bit more "hand holding".
>
> Well, I can't say that I've installed most distros, but I've been
> actively comparing installs of win2k and XP versus redhat at a client
> site.  Of course, this isn't hard evidence, but in my experience, redhat
> "just works" more often than does windows.
>
> Of course, this is getting OT, since redhat's installation process is
> orthogonal to whether debian's is difficult.
>
> Also, I'd say that of the 3, I'd describe redhat's as the most
> "hand-holding", while windows' is more like "hand-cuffing".  (Yes, I
> realize that the terminology I choose here weakens my argument by making
> me sound like a raving zealot.)  The windows installer doesn't guide you
> through any decisions at all, it just doesn't give you any decisions to
> make.
>
> good times,
> Vineet
> --
> http://www.doorstop.net/

As part of a Windows re-install earlier on the system I wrote about, I
had to use a boot disk to start the Windows setup. The default boot disk
that Windows creates wouldn't leave enough RAM for the installation
program to run. I had to search the cobwebbed corners of my brain to
remember loadhigh and devicehigh, and edit the config.sys and
autoexec.bat repeatedly until I could boot the monster successfully. No
hand-holding from M$ there.

The Windows install, once running, was comparable to an OS/2 Warp 4
installation (something I had done a couple of times) and easier than
installing Debian or Slackware, but definitely way behind installing
RedHat in ease of flow. That said, Windows installs only install
Windows. OS/2 installs give you a significant amount of working software
relative to standard Windows. Linux gives you the whole range of
possibilities - services, hardware support, applications, applications,
applications, really obscure applications, utilities, window managers
and their related environments up the ying-yang - all in one
installation session. Personally, I fear the thought of running dselect
against the Sid collection of packages ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org