Re: Bash autocompletion

On Friday 18 April 2003 17:08, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> In article <20030417093012$7f48@gated-at.bofh.it> you wrote:
> > I find the TAB-completion feature of bash very handy and use
> > it everytime. Yet I have two issues with this feature.
> >
> > a) I start a commandline like
> > scp gemini:/tm
> > here I press tab (gemini is a valid hostname in my network).
> > The line becomes:
> > scp gemini:gemini\:/tmp
> > and is thus pretty useless.
> > What can I do to prevent this?
>
> In bash, not a lot. Can I suggest that you give zsh a try though if you
> want decent tab completion. It includes a very wide range of completions
> by default including one for scp which will handle the situation above
> exactly as you would want.

Well, in fact it could be solved (See other posts with this subject)

> > b) If a file does not have the proposed extension the completion
> > will not work. Example:
> > I have a file called "Song of joy.mp2"
>
> By default, zsh tries all files if it failed to match a file with the
> restricted expansion so again, this would have worked in zsh. You can
> configure this sort of thing though.

That sounds nice

> Note also, that zsh is fairly backward compatible with bash with them
> both being roughly based on ksh. Zsh even has a function which allows
> bash completion functions to be used.

Not the first time I hear, that zsh is somewhat better.
But simply starting zsh and sourceing my .profile gives me too
many error-messages and too much is not as I'm used to.

I guess it will take me too long to switch. And
I'm missing the needed time too hard. It took me years to get the
level of knowledge of the bash that I think I have now and in fact
bash serves my needs nearly perfectly.

Yet in principle I'm always willing to switch to a better product,
just not now - the issue is a too small one for this.

Thanx, Michael