Re: Screen resolution

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:51:35AM -0400, Mike Dresser wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Tran Tuan Anh wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I run both Linux and Window on my box.
> > in both I use 1024*768 screen resolution.
> > However, in Window the sreen occupies the whole display area of the
> > monitor. But in Linux it takes only 90% of the display area.
>
> Your refresh rate probably differs between the two monitors.  Try setting
> one or the other to the same refresh.  I have this problem occasionally
> with old monitors, when I'm using a switchbox.

Even with the same refresh rate X and Windoze don't necessarily set up
the video card in the same way. On my SiS6326, it comes out the other way
round: with both systems using 800x600 @ 100Hz, X fills the screen but
Windoze inserts large blank areas at each end of the scan line.
Presumably the idea is that in those blank bits the video card doesn't
need to access its RAM so the CPU can write to it without hindrance,
giving faster video performance for games? Im my case, I don't have
any games or other apps requiring super-fast video performance, and
what I see is a slight reduction in sharpness compared to X due to the
wider bandwidth of the video signal (as well as a narrow screen).

It is not possible to adjust Windoze to behave the same as X, because
Windoze is crap. It is possible to adjust X to behave the same as
Windoze. xvidtune is useful for fiddling about like this but it is not
complete and some manual editing of ModeLines in XF86Config is still
needed.

Take care when doing this because it is easy to knacker your monitor
by feeding it signals that are out of range. For understanding
ModeLines I find the docs for SVGATextMode are better than anything
I've found in X so far (SVGATextMode uses ModeLines with the X format).

Pigeon