Re: OT: Incoming/Outgoing route of IP subnet

> So, your described network looks like:
>
>     H---G---A

A might be any internet host, so (generally) we must assume intermediate
routers.

H---|
I---|---G---........---A
J---|       Internet
K---|
    ^ Subnet N (with hosts H, I, J, K, G)

> 1.  If there is no other path from A to H, then all packets from A to
>     H will pass through G.

Sure. But the original question was, looking from H's perspective, how
often in the real world one will find further "gateways" (say F) for
incoming traffic (to H).

H---|---F---.......
I---|---G---........---A
J---|       Internet
K---|

> 2.  For your ARP simplification, you could give G a static ARP entry
>     for host A in G as well as any other static routes you add to G.
>
> 3.  You could allow G to use a broadcast MAC everytime it doesn't have
>     a MAC for an IP, then learn on return traffic.

My only influence is on H.

> my thoughts,

Thanks.

Stony