Re: Using Root Raid1 with stock debian kernels

Massimiliano Ferrero schrieb:
> Florian Thiel wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >I'm trying to use a root (/) RAID1 with a stock debian kernel
> >2.4.20-1-686. The problem is that md, when loaded as a module does not
> >call the kernel's RAID autostart function. So the kernel panics because
> >it can't mount the root filesystem (it loads md beforehand, though).
>
> When I was experiencing with raid and lvm I found a thread on google
> with a message from Eduard Bloch that states that it is so by design...
> but don't ask me why.
> Autostart works only if you compile the raid module statically in the
> kernel.

Yes, that's correct. It's a bit of unclean programming. Maybe 2.5 will
contain the needed code....

> >Can anyone tell me how I could accomplish getting Root-RAID1 to work
> >without
> >throwing away the stock debian kernel...
>
> You can look at:
> http://www.midhgard.it/docs/index_en.html
>
> chapter 5 explains how to create a ram disk with raid modules inside.

Thank you very much. I found the debian solution. The mkinitrd-script
automagically copies the raid start scripts to the initrd-image if "/"
in /etc/fstab is a md-device.

thought I had to do that myself...

Florian

--
Florian Thiel - Medienzentrum Kassel
Systembetreuung Internet- und Kommunikationstechnik