Re: Howto load scsi emulation modules (2)

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 04:19, Joris Huizer wrote:
[...]
> Sorry - I forgot to tell you this has not solved my
> problems - I did this update-modules allready before
> asking.

It sounds like you are learning a lot, but are yet to get anything
working. If learning was the point of the excercise, by all means push
on. If, however, you just want to get it working, just do the following
for woody;

$ apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-386 discover

or for sarge or sid;

$ apt-get install kernel-image-2.4 discover

And answer "yes" when it asks about using discover to configure cdrom
devices. You will need to edit /etc/lilo.conf so it has the following;

  image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
        initrd=/initrd.img

then re-run lilo before rebooting.

> How can I find why the modules aren't being loaded ?

Having not followed the discussion from the beginning, I can't really
comment much, except to say that it sounds like you have been doing
everything the hard way. It sounds like you have been reading all the
"from scratch" HOWTO's without realising that Debian does most of it for
you and possibly in a slightly different way to the (old) HOWTO.

On a pure Debian system with an installed standard kernel-image package,
(not the boot floppy's "bf" image), the only thing you need to do to get
ide-scsi working so you can use IDE CDRW drives is to install discover
_or_ add the following line to /etc/modules;

   ide-scsi

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/