Re: making noise (Acer TM 634)

Thus spake Emma Jane Hogbin:
> (Apologies for the cross-post)
>
> I haven't been able to get my sound card working on my laptop. I've
> installed the ALSA drivers from source with the EXACT steps used on:
> http://rivy.student.khleuven.be/acertm/#Sound
>
> I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for, but here is as much
> information as I can find that I think might be useful. Any suggestions
> would be much appreciated!
>
> Everything goes perfectly except update-modules:
> debian:/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver# update-modules
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/sound/acore/snd-page-alloc.o

You need to recompile your kernel as well, most likely... the modules
aren't being compiled against the same kernel that you're running.  My
suggestion is to just make clean on your kernel tree and do a
debian/rules clean in modules/alsa-driver.  After that, if you use
make-kpkg to build your kernels, from your kernel source tree,

make-kpkg binary modules_image

That will build your kernel, and also build a .deb for the alsa modules.
dpkg -i the resulting debs, and you should be off to a much better
start with your soundcard.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

However we may pity the mother whose health and even life is imperiled
by the performance of her natural duty, there yet remains no sufficient
reason for condoning the direct murder of the innocent. - Pius XI