Re: samba: authentication through pam?

Paul Johnson said:

> I'm wondering if there's a way to convince samba to use PAM
> authentication.  I googled for samba pam, but came up with a lot of
> information on how to make PAM authenticate using samba, and I want the
> opposite...

yes but its probably not a good idea. In order for samba to use
PAM, you must disable password encryption on both the server AND
all the clients. This has to do with the way pam works, it doesn't
return the actual password that PAM recieved, it just returns a
response, so samba cannot recieve the encrypted password or something.

you may have to recompile samba, I don't know if debian's samba
comes with pam support enabled.

by default all win32 smb clients in the past few years come with
password encryption enabled by default, turning it off usually
involves a quick registry fix(the fix is included with the samba
source).

I highly reccomend samba+ldap instead.

nate