Re: Hardware RAID setup

Bill Moseley said:

> By test you mean pull the power or the cable while the machine is running?

according to 3ware diagnostics some of my drive failures and crashes
have occured when one of the drives lost power. They thought it may
be a bad power splitter or something. So what i would reccomend is
hooking one of the disks to a 2nd power supply(preferably an AT
with a power switch), and powering the disk from that supply, then
after the system is up for a while turn that power supply off and
see what happens when the drive loses power. That would be the
safest way I think. A better but much more expensive way would be
to get one of those 3ware ide hot swap trays(no idea how much they
cost, probably a few hundred) and hook your drives into one of them
and yank one out while the system is running. not even sure 3ware
still makes these trays last I looked I couldn't find them on their
site and am not aware of any other true hot swap ide disk trays though
I haven't really spent much effort looking.

> I've lost two IBM drives in the last year and a half.  I've got a new 60GB
> dive on a shelf I haven't wanted to use because of that.  Lately I've been
> using Barracudas because I like quiet drives.  I hope they hold up.

seagate is pretty good..just keep em cool. ibm drives pissed me
off because they still failed even though I had so much airflow flowing
accross them they were physically cold to the touch and still failed.
Most other drive failures I have had have been heat related. My important
systems usually have at least 60CFM of air flow running through the
cases, my big 3ware boxes probably had in the range of 120-130, they
had 3 big ...6-8" fans in the middle of the case and I used PC Power
& Cooling Bay Cool IIIs to mount the drives, 3 drives cooled by a
large 30CFM fan(7 drives in the case total). Connected to a PC Power
& Cooling Turbocool 450 power supply with another 30-35CFM fan, in
a climate controlled enviornment(never got above 68F). They ran
off of APC SmartUPS 1400RMXLNETs which had about 200 pounds worth
of backup batteries connected.

been a while since I've used a seagate IDE but I've read a few
good reports on them every now and then, haven't noticed any bad
reports.

nate