Re: Odd 'which' behaviour - not finding shell script [SOLVED]

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 10:53:27AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> nate wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Matthews said:
> > > Here's a transcript from a shell session.
> >
> > > jaycee@bigdaddy:~$ echo $PATH
> > > ~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
> > > jaycee@bigdaddy:~$ ls ~/bin
> >
> > just a guess but I say your problem is there. The shell did not
> > expand the ~ when setting the path.
>
> Perhaps it was in quotes?

Perhaps both:

It /was/ in quotes in .bash_profile (I'm sure I'm using the stock potato
.bash_profile), and also had ~/bin rather than $HOME/bin.

I've corrected both, though I'm slightly worried that the quotes were
there for a reason - perhaps to cater for spaces in directory names?

Obviously not a great idea, but would 'PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"' do this?
Would it let you have, say, "$HOME/binary files" in there without
barfing?

Anyway, for all reasonable paths, it's working.

For the list archives, changing the line

PATH="~/bin:${PATH}"
PATH="$HOME/bin:${PATH}"

seems to work.
If you have the double quotes in there is up to you - see any replies to
this post to get the opinion of people who know more than I do.

-- jc

--
$ cat .me/contactdetails/home
[listmail]