Re: /var/log/messages

Also sprach Richard Beri (Fri 21 Feb 02003 at 07:52:59PM -0500):
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:47:34 -0600
> "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> wrote:
>
> > If I had a logfile that large, I would assume that there is something
> > wrong with my system.  Only after careful scrutiny of that logfile, and
> > correction of all conditions generating verbose messages, then I would
> > consider deleting said logfiles.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I have a cable modem that spews errors in a virtual terminal, I silenced them, but I assume that they go into /var/log/messages.  My system has been on for almost 2 years non-stop.  I also have logrotate installed, so I don't know why they are getting so large.  The files are that large now that I can't read them (with vi anyway).

Look here:

	man logrotate

I do not know what version you are using; nor do I see how my default
logrotate process handles signaling syslogd; but, you may consider
putting something like this near the bottom of your /etc/logrotate.conf:

	/var/log/messages {
		rotate 5
		size=10M
		postrotate