Re: DHCP/DNS assistance

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:40:05AM -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> 	Hi there,
>
> > > I set up DHCP and faked it out so that it doesn't gripe
> > > about eth0 not having a subnet config (hours of study and
> > > trial...there's supposed to be a simple config setting for
> > > this, but it didn't work for me and I couldn't find any of
> > > the files or directories that were pointed out in all my
> > > searches)
> >
> > At least for dhcp3-server it is a simple tweak - the name of the
> > interface goes on the command line. IIRC it was the same for dhcpd.
> > Simple tweaks to the /etc/init.d/* script.
>
> 	No!! Don't do that. If you do an apt-get upgrade later it will most
> likely replace the /etc/init.d script. Instead of that, alter the file
> /etc/default/dhcp.

Wow; I edited my /etc/init.d/dhcp script a few years ago and it hasn't
been replaced yet.  I think that has something to do with me answering
'N' when dpkg asks me if I want to replace my script with the new
version from the package.  I usually use 'D' to vgrep for changes
which I might want to apply.

  Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small
  minds discuss people.
          -- Laurence J. Peter