Re: dpkg inconsistency

Gary Turner <kk5st@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> In the spirit of "don't re-invent the wheel" this is what I use:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Written by Larry Holish, ljholish@speakeasy.net
> # As customized by Gary Turner for his own use
>
> # Script that writes current list of packages installed
> # from /var/lib/dpkg/available to pkgs_woody.current.
> # Keeps a history of changes between package versions
> # in woody_history.txt.
[...]
> COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l | grep "^i" | cut -b 5- > pkgs_woody.current

Instead of 'dpkg -l', you should use 'dpkg --get-selections' and save
its output unmodified.  Then, if you want to restore those selections,
you can send the list to 'dpkg --set-selections'.  Just a suggestion...

--
My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?