Re: Installing Non-Debian Programs w/out Apt -- what effect?

* Brian McGroarty (brian@mcgroarty.net) [030206 22:56]:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:48:47PM -0000, Colin Ellis wrote:
> > General Rule - anything not part of the distribution, compile from source
> > and use the installation prefix of /usr/local/
> >
> > This will keep your custom installation separate from the distribution and
> > give you an easy upgrade route later on.
> >
> > If the program needs it's own shared libraries then don't forget to add the
> > /usr/local/lib path to /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
> I like to take this a step further; I prefer to install anything that
> isn't in a Debian package within my home directory. I have
> ~/ports/usr, ~/ports/bin, ~/ports/var etc.

You can achieve a similar effect by adding your non-root user account to
the staff group and installing under /usr/local/ as this user.  This way
software gets installed in global, multi-user location, but without root
privileges you can't hose the Debian parts of your system.

I find it best to grant users permissions via groups where possible.
For another example, adding your non-root user account to 'adm' allows
you to inspect the logs without becoming root.  The less you become
root, the less likely you are to make a catastrophic error.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  --Benjamin Franklin