kernel compile failure

I'm having trouble compiling kernel 2.4.20 on my woody system.  I'm
using gcc version 2.95.4

I issue the command . . .
su -c "make-kpkg kernel_image"

After compiling some files it always ends up with an error like . . .

gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:500: Error: no such instruction: `j'

So I delete init/main.o and I start the compile again and this time
it ends up in a different place but with the same error.

gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
make[4]: *** [dev.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/net/core'
make[3]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/net/core'
make[2]: *** [_subdir_core] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20/net'
make[1]: *** [_dir_net] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.20'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline inserted
{standard input}:2144: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `dec'
cpp0: output pipe has been closed

So I delete dev.o and I start the compile again and this time
it ends up in a different place but with the same error.

And so on and so on until it finishes and I end up with a deb.

So I install it with dpkg and then try to reboot to the new kernel.
Well as soon as the new kernel starts to load it reboots almost
immediately.  The system doesn't stay booting long enough for me to
catch it but the message is something like this.

And then it reboots.  I believe the rebooting is due to the compiler
crashing all the time.  Does anybody else get these kind of errors when
compiling or is it just me?

--
http://torrin.dyndns.org
http://www.torrin.net