Re: fstab entry for NTFS formatted drive

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 05:04:27PM +0000, Doug MacFarlane wrote:
> On 05 Feb 2003, 13:53:27, Rodrigo Agerri wrote:
> > That remarkable Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:29, Doug MacFarlane wrote:

> > > ntfs works for me, but I have it mounted RO, and only root has access to
> > > it.  I haven't fooled around with this yet . . . .
> >
> > I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that ntfs can *only* be mounted RO, but you can
> > give the user access to it. I have this line in my /etc/fstab
> >
> > /dev/hda1	/win	ntfs ro,noauto,user	0	0
>
> Thanks Rodrigo.
>
> I was recompiling my Kernel this morning and saw that there is an NTFS module
> that supports RW, with the notation (Experimental and VERY DANGEROUS) . .
> .
>
> I may give that a shot this weekend.

If you do, please make sure you've backed up the data on your NTFS
partition.  Last time I tried this (admittedly quite some time ago but
is was with the 2.4.x series) I managed to completely trash my NTFS
filesystem (and I do mean completely).  The note about "VERY
DANGEROUS" is not there to make you feel more elite :-)

OTOH read-only seems very stable.  My "solution" when I must have a
box dual booting linux and something that prefers NTFS (win2k, NT 4,
XP) is to create two partitions for windows; the "root" I format with
NTFS and the other with FAT.  This partition is a "data store" and can
be safely mounted rw in linux.

Good luck!

  This message cannot be considered spam, even though it is.  Some
  law that never was enacted says so.
          -- Arkadiy Belousov