Re: X11 stability

S Yuval said:
> Ever since I installed Debian, I have to hard boot at least 3 times a day,
> because X windows crashes and hangs the machine. This usually happens when
> the system is busy installing programs, or doing some other resource
> consuming job in one of the virtual consoles (X itself included), and I
> choose to flip between consoles. However, when I used Red Hat 7.1 and even

don't flip between consoles when X is loaded. this is always a bad
idea. some video hardware flips out and will lock up. Other video
hardware may behave better. I've seen this on X for at least 5 years
on different X servers/drivers on linux.

as far as I know, most commercial X servers (IRIX, AIX, HPUX, Solaris)
do not allow switching either, at least I've never figured out how
to switch on those systems.

nate