Re: ntpd not keeping time

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 02:50:00PM -0500, debian@clouded.org wrote:
> Hello all. I've got this weird problem with ntpd. Up until now I've never
> had ntpd fail me. But on this one box I've got the clock speeding up by 30
> minutes each day. I've got ntpd installed and configured properly with
> working ntp servers. In fact, ntpdate sets the clock properly, but ntpd is
> failing to keep the clock in sync with the ntp servers.
>
> I've tried purging ntp & ntp-simple and reinstalling, but that didn't
> help. There are no errors in any logs in /var/log. Any ideas or
> suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not a hugely experienced user, so I could be way off the
mark here, but this reminded me of a problem we had at home
a short while ago with a new machine:

Basically ntp was setting the time correctly, but the drift was
far too large for it to keep up with (over 1 second per minute
in our case).  In order to solve this, we had to use the adjtimex
utility to configure the kernel to expect the actual rate that our
system clock was advancing, rather than the default. ( Apparently this
is because the master crystal is often uncalibrated, so the clock
was advancing at the wrong rate.)

After doing this ntp was able to catch up (although adjtimex had
to be set to run on every boot, as the change is not permanent).

Obviously if it's not a new box I'm seriously far off the mark ;)

	  Regards,
	        Steph

--
Stephanie Boyd			http://www.ixtab.org.uk/slb

"The best Windows accelerator is that which works at 9.81m/s2 "