Re: CDRW UDF file system scripts

-- Roy Pluschke <rjplus@sunshine.net> wrote
(on Friday, 31 January 2003, 05:31 AM -0800):
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:02:57 +0300
> Andrei Smirnov <andrei.s@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:38:14PM -0800, Roy Pluschke wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I recently patched my kernel so that I could use a CDRW as a
> > > regular file system for backup purposes. Right know I manually
>
> > Where did you found it?
> > Thanx in advance
>
> Please send through the list rather than me personally so that all
> may benefit.
>
> look at "http://hints.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/cdrw-hint.txt"; for
> a howto -- I used the already packaged udftools deb rather than
> building then myself.
>
> The only problem is shutting down without unmounting -- the packet-CD
> driver process is terminated before the attempt to umount the drive and
> so the shutdown just hangs.
>
> I don't know how to change the shutdown scripts in a debian friendly
> way so that the driver persists until umount is called. Solutions that
> I have come up with will be over-written when the boot/shutdown scripts
> deb (whatever it is) is updated.

Have you tried the update-rc.d executable? My understanding is that when
the various init scripts are added/deleted/moved with this, debconf
won't change them. I could be wrong -- but from my experience so far,
when I've used this they stay the way I want them.

Sounds like what you need to do is change the order in which the
processes are stopped -- umount the drive before stopping the packet-CD
driver process. Whichever initlevel they occur in, you may even want to
simply rename the K... links for these scripts.

(I had to do a similar thing to start gpm support *after* I was positive
that my USB support had started -- otherwise I'd have a mouse, but no
gpm support for it. I simply renamed the Sxxgpm script in my default
initlevel to S92gpm -- which started it pretty much after anything
else.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net