Re: Problem with /var/lib/dpkg/available, please help

This one time, at band camp, franck routier said:
> Hi,
>
> after a power shortage, I now have a problem with
> /var/lib/dpkg/available.
>
> When I run dpkg, it finds a parse error at line 1 : EOF after field " "
>
> I cannot install any new package and my system was left in an unstable
> state (some libs seems not to be available anymore, so gdm or
> firestarter won't start).
>
> Is there a way to reconstruct available from scratch ?
> What can I do to recover ?

There is a /var/lib/dpkg/available-old - try copying it over and see how
that goes.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Every man thinks God is on his side.    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | The rich and powerful know that he is.  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Jean Anouilh, "The Lark"             |